Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Purging Is A Daily Defense

"Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us." 1 Corinthians 5:7
The past few weeks I have felt like there was something I just needed to purge from my body. As I prayed and asked the Lord, He kept speaking about blood. Thinking perhaps that my body needed a good multiple vitamin with iron, internally I knew that wasn't what God was speaking about. Getting into that quiet place and waiting for the whole answer, I waited. After a couple of days, I knew I needed to purge my blood of impurities that I had accumulated while living in East Africa.

Towards the end of my stay we had run out of well water and the rivers were drying up; a severe drought was taking place. The water had always been a bit "red" from the dirt that got into the storage barrels but during the drought it was sometimes yellow or red, or mixtures. I drank a lot of Coca-Cola during those days! The water we used for tea, washing our hands and bodies, as well as clothes, however, all came from the colored water. We boiled each pot for at least 25 minutes. There were always the heavy particles of "whatever" at the bottom, which we tried our best not to allow into the good water.

In the spiritual sense, we also allow impurities to get into our walk with Christ. We don't always do that on purpose. Sometimes it is something we watch, hear, gossip about, a number of things that can tempt us from the past--but they are equivalent to impurities in our physical blood and bodies. We need to purge!

Daily prayer, intercession, Bible study, fellowship with others who are of a like mind in Christ--these "habits" help keep the spiritual life healthy and free from impurities. May 2009 be the year of Daily Defense, the start of something good for the total man.

A Fiery Flame For His Service,
Susan Storm Smith




3 comments:

My Hope Is In Jesus said...

Love that analogy. I have much purging to do. Thanks for sharing.

Louisa said...

Much truth, yes. Thank you for a great post. Well Anna Quesada, you're not alone :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the important reminder that a clean vessel is truly the one He can use.
Not perfect...but clean!
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your wonderful comment.
Jlo